Oslob is a 4th class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. It has 21 barangays. In one of the barangays specifically Barangay Tan-awan, whale sharks can be spotted.
Barangay Tan-awan, Oslob is 10 kilometers or 6.2 miles away from the center of the town. Whale shark watching has become a popular attraction not just by the locals but with the tourists too.
HOW TO GET TO WHALE SHARK WATCHING IN OSLOB
ENTRY POINT AIRPORT
- BY TAXI THEN BUS
- Ride a taxi from the airport to Cebu South Bus Terminal. (Ride the white taxi because its cheaper than the yellow one)
- Take a CERES BUS going to BATO via OSLOB. Fare (Php150-200 or $3-4).Time (3-4 hours bus ride). Tell the driver that you are going to WHALE SHARK WATCHING in OSLOB.
- BY TAXI
- Ride a Taxi from the airport in going to Whale Shark Watching in Oslob. Just tell them you are going to see the the WHALE SHARK in OSLOB.
- Fare (Approx PHP 3,000-5,000 or $60-100).
MAP ON HOW TO GET TO WHALE SHARK WATCHING IN OSLOB
WHALE SHARK WATCHING IN OSLOB
I have been here twice already. Remembering that my first time swimming with the whale sharks or as what we call it “butanding” is so tiring yet they satisfies me.
There are some improvements in the area. Just like putting up flow chart so that foreigners will not be guided incorrectly when purchasing tickets.
A sign “entrance” is the beginning of the step for registration. In there, the staffs will inform you to form a line. Please take note that a flow chart is in the entrance. It will help you determine the steps on how to purchase ticket. Be sure to follow it.
The picture below shows the flow chart that I was talking about.
Please follow accordingly.
After purchasing the tickets, next is the briefing or orientation area. A speaker will inform you the Dos and Don’ts when swimming with the Whale Sharks or Butandings.
After waiting for some minutes (depends rather on how many butanding is in the area), your number will be called and gears for snorkeling will be provided.
When you finish gearing up, the boatmen will guide you to your boat.
And the time to see the Whale Sharks begins!
That’s us heading for the whale shark.
After posing for how many minutes, I get a good shot of me with the Whale Shark. I tell you that it is not easy to have a nice pic with them.
I have taken off my life vest just so I can swim as deep as I could but look I ended up holding unto the boat’s leg.
Local fishermen feed the whale sharks by hand and I find that very entertaining. Take note also of the smell. It’s a bit smelly. 😆
After swimming and changing clothes, you can wait for your service in the pick-up area (if you have one!).
DO’S AND DONT’S
- Wear life vest when one doesn’t know how to swim.
- Apply sunblocks or sunscreens.
- Touch the whale shark.
- Jump in going to the ocean.
- Go near the Whale Shark’s tail to avoid getting hurt.
REGULAR RATE (FOREIGNER)
PHP 1500.00 or $30.00 – SCUBA DIVING (without GEAR)
PHP 1000.00 or $20.00 – SNORKELING
PHP 500.00 or $10.00 – WATCHING
DISCOUNTED RATE (LOCAL)
PHP 600.00 or $ 12.00 – SCUBA DIVING (without GEAR)
PHP 500.00 or $10.00– SNORKELING
PHP 300.00 or $ 6.00 – WATCHING
- Travel Light
- Be sure to go there at around 5am because Whale Sharks will be leaving when the sun is high up in the sky.
- Souvenir shops and restaurants are in the area.
- Patience patience patience, it’s an organized chaos. Leave any expectations behind and prepare to be surprised. 🙂
MAP TO HELP YOU LOCATE THE WHALE SHARK WATCHING IN OSLOB
Have you been to Cebu? Try Whale Shark Watching! What’s Next on your list?
DID YOU LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT !!